Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Heatstroke

... almost killed Shadow on Sunday. He's hashed with me though 5 summers now on much longer runs than Sunday's w/o a problem. 2nd half of the hash was only about 3 miles but it was 100 degrees with no shade. He started the classic "drunken walk" and collapsed. I got him to shade and gave him what water I had. Then I carried him to a water hydrant & got his core temp down. Glad I remembered what I read in that old SOF article - it saved his life.

After about 20 minutes he quit panting but his hind legs were extended and stiff, and they hurt like hell if I touched them. We got him into some AC and he was coming around but couldn't use his back legs so we got him to the ER. They started some phys therapy on him and I know it hurt like hell cause we could hear him howling. He apparantly had enough of that shit & got up on his own; much to our relief. They kept him overnight. The vet bill was pretty steep; wiped out the donation I'd been saving for B. Hussain Obama.

In other news I got a new (old) bow, Mathews Switchback. Gotta get another cam for it because the draw length's too long but I shot it anyway last night. Quite a bit different feel from my Browning, not better or worse, just different. It's wicked accurate and quiet. I predict it will be involved in the deaths of many animals.

3 comments:

PlaysByEar said...

Yikes, that sounds like it was a close one. I'm glad he's OK now--is he completely back to normal?

brownie said...

Tell Shadow to drink for whining.

Good lord, is Obama's middle name really Hussein? We should hang him, he obviously wants to use WMD's to destroy America!

Smut Mutt said...

Shadow is not back to normal yet and I don't know if he'll every be back to where he was. Those were some pretty severe cramps. He's able to stand on his hind legs for treats now; before today his right leg would colapes and he'd fall over. The snap's not there when he fetches toys or does his herding, but I'm encouraged by his progress.

Ann Coulter keeps calling him "B. Hussain Obama"; it's her dry sense of humor.

But I think he's is more dangerous to America Saddam ever was. As commander in chief he's on record that he'll gut our military and surrender in Iraq. Silly me thinks this is bad because I believe there are bad people in this world who come here and do us harm if allowed to do so. His domestic policy for everything is to tax us into a severe recession. So basically I'm saying everything he says he wants to do is wrong.