Sunday, January 11, 2009

Dallas Trip

Wicked, Shadow, and I went to Dallas this past weekend. We left Shadow at Pussy Tail's Friday morning and did the Dallas Safari Club had their hunting convention. I was able to get through it in less than a day this time, even though it grew. The difference was I wasn't actively looking to book a hunt. Last year I was there 2 days and didn't see it all. Here's some pix of the taxidermy:






Another reason we went was to take my PH (Mare') and his wife Elma to the Medievil Times. (http://www.medievaltimes.com/) This place has an arena where they put on a medieval show where some prince is captured, a knight from another kingdom infiltrates their show, and they must sort it out. The cool thing is they have a jousting tournament and end up swordfighting to the death. The swordfights are about as real as pro wrestling but the jousting and horsemanship are impressive. They also give demonstations on the training of their horses and another part is on falconry. (Cursed bird swooped withing a couple feet of my head.) A wench also feeds you while this is going on; dragon blood soup, 1/2 a falcon, a dragon toe, and a dragon egg. (Veg soup, chicken, BBQ rib, & a spud) It's a bit expensive and they keep trying to wring more money out of you selling trinkets, but it's worth seeing once if you're in Dallas or one of the other cities they have these in. Mare' and Elma, being from the 3rd world nation of Namibia, were quite impressed. He videotaped everything and wanted pictures with everything - total tourist. He said he was acting like I did. I hope I wasn't THAT bad!

We stayed at Tail's place Friday night and hit the Big Town gun show in Mesquite on Saturday. It was the busiest I'd ever seen it. Wicked bought 500 rounds of ammo while Tail & I somehow managed not to buy a new gun or 10K rnds of ammo each. It's good to go to these and see how the threat of the incomming dems have adjusted prices on the EBRs and hi cap mags. I was surprised that even the high-end EBRs have gone up 30-50% in the last 6 months.
We stopped at George's in Waco on the way back. Their chicken fried steak dinner is the best for 100 miles.

2 comments:

machete said...

I've been to medieval times in Dallas, good show and horsemanship for sure.

Those lion's are huge.

Have you ever been to Chicago's Field Museum of Natural History to see the "Ghost and the Darkness"? The two male lions that killed about 140 people in 1898 in Kenya. They are mounted and on display there.
Link to some info and the book:
http://www.lionlamb.us/tsavo/ghostdar.html

Smut Mutt said...

A long time ago I saw the "Ghost and the Darkness" movie w/Michael Douglas & Val Kimner. I didn't know until years later it was based on a true story.