Thursday, April 14, 2011

Found the miss

When I pulled the plugs, cylinder #1 was black. Leakdown was 98% for #1, the rest were 91-98%. I focused on the #1 cylinder... I bit the bullet and pulled the air chamber again so I could get to that injector. I was thinking maybe it was stuck open, causing the plug to foul. I got the injector out and it looks like it's plugged. That's one of the 3 that the guy in Pflugerville said he was able to clean (the other 3 he couldn't clean).

To test it I filled the top with carb cleaner, hooked 12V to the pins, and tried to blow the fluid through. It's definately plugged. You can hear it click when applying voltage, sometimes, and it's weak. The ones he marked "bad" DO flow correctly. I'm guessing they just flowed weak. He said one was stuck open; I assume it wasn't stuck open, just leaking. In any event, I'm not reusing the bad ones.

I can get one for $45 + $15 core locally, or mail order from RockAuto.com for about $37 each with core & shipping. I found another outfit called Fuel Injector Wharehouse (fuelinjectorwhse.com) that has them for $40 with core, shipped so I might try them. Also found some on eBay for $19 shipped but they're not rebuilt. They could be from a truck that has sat like mine and be screwed.

In other news, I sent the IRS a HUGE check today. I had to estimate my taxes since one of my investments does not send out their K1's until April 15! Joy...

No comments: