Thursday, April 21, 2011

More CSI trouble



It wouldn't start again yesterday morning. I knew it was CSI related so I pulled it out and put it in a catch-cup while I cranked it - no fuel. I pulled the fuel source to it and verified that it was getting gas, so my assumptions from yesterday were all wrong. I put a test light on the connector and verified power while cranking. (That's the "STA" wire above.) Then I removed the CSI, filled it with carb cleaner, put power to it, and verified it was working. The only thing left is that it isn't getting ground, which would complete the power.

The circuit to ground is supplied by the start injector time switch. It's mounted in the engine block where coolant can get to it. What's supposed to happen is when the engine is cold, the STJ signal is connected to ground. (The contact by the arrow moves to the right.) When the switch warms up, the contact moves to the left. The resistance of the two coils are both about 80 ohms, so in the "warm" state there's about 160 ohms between the CSI and ground so it won't fire. It's supposed to switch states around 80F. The coils also heat up the switch so if you crank it while cold for a while it will switch to the warm state. This is to keep you from putting too much fuel into the engine and flooding it.

Mine is is the "warm" state mine is in at room temperature. I could only get it to the "cold" state if I put it in icewater. I found one for $20 on eBay so hopefully I'll get this finished this weekend. If the problem persists I'll add a manual switch in parallel to the automatic one so I can shoot a little extra fuel in if it doesn't want to crank.

No comments: