Thursday, April 07, 2011

More plugged stuff

I traced the line from the charcoal canister back to the tank. There's about a foot of 3/8" hose at the tank and the rest is hardline. I pulled the hose and it was plugged, but I got the hardline breathing. There was a hard obstruction in the line so I cut it open with a knife just to see what it was. It's actually a plastic tube about 3/4" long that's definitely supposed to be there. At first I thought it might be a one-way check valve, but whatever it was it was plugged. I jammed a scribe through the middle of it and knocked out whatever the obstruction was. Now there's just a hole in the center about 1/10" in diameter. Me thinks this is just a choke to restrict the flow of fuel/fumes to a reasonable level. That should be plenty big to bleed of the fumes but small enough that fuel shouldn't splash through it. There's no mention of this in the factory service manual.

The charcoal canister is plugged and I can't get it unplugged, so I'll either have to find another one or bypass it.

My 3 new (rebuilt) injectors arrived today from RockAuto.com and I reassembled everything tonight. There has to be over 20 items to connect on the air chamber. I missed one; a coolant line that's under the throttle body. I wouldn't have noticed had I put the antifreeze back in. I fixed that and cleaned up the mess. Benny (my renter) is asleep so I'll try to fire it up in the morning. Hope it works; I'm tired of fussing with it.

It'd be good to have another running vehicle since the world is going to explode tomorrow when we have to survive without the fed govt.

No comments: